Monday, September 24, 2012

Welcome & Zombie Quidditch!

Hey guys! I decided to start keeping a separate more personal blog from On Wednesdays We Wear Pink because I'd like to chronicle more of the fun things I've been up to in New York and OWWWP is a more professional site that I share with one of my best friends, Kristin Fowler.  You'll still be getting tons of geeky and girly news from On Wednesdays We Wear Pink, and here you'll get a deeper look into the stories behind all of the Twitter and Instagram statuses that I can't quite describe in only 140 characters.  Kind of like an online diary, although, a girl's gotta maintain some secrets :o)  Let me know in the comments section if there's anything specific that you guys would like to see from me and I'll do my best to incorporate it into my new blog!  I've been wanting to start a fun blog for some time and since I finally have a night at home (even though I should be cleaning my room), I decided what better time than now?  I'm going to be backtracking slightly over the next week or so because I really want to share all of my favorite moments from Star Wars Celebration, Dragon*Con, The Walking Dead Zombie Tour, and Baltimore Comic Con with everyone.



I figured I'd start with the most recent events, which happened just yesterday!
My friend Marlene (@ilikecomicstoo) and I attended our very first Zombie Quidditch game on the Lower East Side of Manhattan.  It was unlike anything that either of us had ever been to before, and we couldn't resist the awesome mixing of genres.  There were about 6 Quidditch teams each playing on two pitches.  The team that hosted the event were the NY Badassalisks, a Quidditch team associated with NYC's largest Harry Potter group, The Group Who Shall Not Be Named.  The way it works is that there are 3 hoops set up on each side of the field and each team has Beaters, Keepers, Chasers, and a Seeker.  Then there's a person dressed in gold that serves as the Snitch.  For a detailed explanation of Muggle Quidditch, I suggest visiting the Wikapedia page.  Co-hosting the event was ZombieNYC, who zombified all of the participants for free!  Obviously, we couldn't pass up the chance to have our makeup done, even though it meant attending the Brooklyn Book Fair as zombies later in the day.  


After Quidditch, we decided to grab some food (not brains), before heading into Brooklyn and meeting up with my friends Rachael (@bookoisseur) and Giovanni (@MarioPrime) at the Brooklyn Book Festival.  So many of our favorite publishers and NYC bookstores were in attendance.  One booth in particular that we loved was the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund table.  Their mission to protect the First Amendment rights in the comics medium.  They're a nonprofit organization and you can donate to their cause on their website.  We hung out at the festival for a while and spent a lot of time charging our phones before helping Rachael finish moving into her beautiful new apartment!  As a thank you, Rach took us to her favorite bar, and we were treated to the crispiest, most delicious plate of french fries I ever could've hoped for.


After such an eventful day, all I wanted to do was run home and curl up on my couch in pj's to watch the Emmy's with my family.  But of course, I couldn't leave NYC without stopping at Midtown Comics to pick up Guardians of the Galaxy (which is their pick for Friday's book club at the downtown store) and Baked by Melissa for a box of 25 mini cupcakes, 10 of which I ate on the train ride home :o)  To be honest, I was kind of disappointed in the Emmy's this year.  Most of the awards went to Modern Family, and John Cryer won for best lead actor in a comedy series.  Homeland, a show I haven't had a chance to watch yet, won a bunch of awards too.  Although I was excited that Aaron Paul won for his performance on Breaking Bad, and Jessica Lange won for her role on American Horror Story.  Anyway,  I should get to work on my other blog posts for tomorrow since I have a very busy week ahead of me!

Currently Reading: Hope Larson's Graphic Novelization of A Wrinkle in Time

1 comment:

  1. I definitely would love to hear about your Dragon Con/Atlanta Experience. Also would love to hear what you think is gonna happen this season on The Walking Dead.

    ReplyDelete