Thursday, September 27, 2012

My Favorite Moments: Baltimore Comic Con 2012

This past month was the first time I have ever attended Baltimore Comic Con and I can confidently state that it is one of my favorite (possibly even my most favorite) of all the cons I have ever attended.  The convention is very comics-centric and since it's much smaller than SDCC or NYCC, you're able to see and do everything you could possibly want to without spending any time waiting on long lines.  Many of the industries leading talents were in attendance and because of the size, everyone was very approachable and you were able to have actual conversations with the people you admire without feeling rushed.  Not to mention all the shopping I did and all the rad cosplay I saw!  So once our press passes were approved, my brother and I got up super early on Saturday morning (like 3AM early), and hopped on a train to Maryland.  For the first day of the con I decided to sport my Lazy Oaf Batman bodysuit, which was lucky because one of the guys at the Stylin' Online booth loved my outfit so much, that he gave me a pair of these Batman earrings for free!


I also ran into Scott Snyder (@Ssnyder1835) again!  He and Greg Capullo (@GregCapullo) were signing together and I had them put their John Hancock on a copy of one of my single issue Batman variant covers.
Greg was also giving out a limited edition print, and I was able to snag one of those as well.  Immediately afterwards, we found out via Twitter that Jeff Lemire (@JeffLemire) (for those who don't know Lemire is my absolute favorite comic book writer), was signing at the Top Cow booth.  Even though I had already read his latest graphic novel, Underwater Welder three times and own a hard copy and review pdf, I decided to purchase another, in which Jeff drew a beautiful sketch of Jack complete with bubbles and a personalization to me.  But here is the craziest part, there were only about 5 people waiting on his line, so I did not have nearly enough time to try to relax and be cool when I met him (see the photo of me smiling all uncontrollably silly with Lemire as proof).  That alone made my trip worth it, but there was so much more!  If you haven't already read Lemire's Essex County, Underwater Welder, or Sweet Tooth, you should immediately drop everything and pick them up!  I even cosplayed as Sweet Tooth earlier this year.


My next favorite part of Baltimore Comic Con was definitely the shopping.  I got a Wonder Woman messenger bag (lined with navy blue fabric with white stars), a kawaii Superman backpack, a Totoro necklace, Wonder Woman and Batgirl Barbies, and a ton of artwork.  I also finally got to meet my Twitter friend Joe Eisma (@supajoe) who is the artist and one of the masterminds behind Morning Glories.  Joe totally made my day when he told me that he loves looking at my instagram photos to see the kind of outfits I'm wearing since the Glories are all just a few years younger than me.  I got a gorgeous Morning Glories print of Casey signed by Joe, since she is one of my dream cosplays.  I also met Thom Zahler (@loveandcapes) and Amy Ratcliffe (@amy_geek) where I purchased some of the best Spider-Man artwork I've ever seen.  The art I now own depicts Gwen Stacy (aka me) and Mary Jane fighting over a Spider-Man costume.  It's absolutely adorable!  I also was really excited to meet Amy, who is a writer for Nerd Approved with a serious affinity for Star Wars, and she was super sweet in person!  Next I visited Cliff Chiang's (@CliffChiang) table and we reminisced about seeing Marvel's The Avengers.  Dan Slott (@DanSlott) and I had sat next to him during the Marvel screening last April.  I've really been loving Cliff's Wonder Woman artwork in the New 52, and I always loved his Zatanna art as well.  I got a really cute set of mini prints from him that included Batgirl and Teen Titans art.  My last stop for artwork was at Paolo Rivera's (@PaoloMRivera) table.  I simply had to have the iconic Daredevil snow angel cover from issue #7 of Mark Waid's run and of course a Spider-Man print.


And lastly, what would any convention be without some good ole fashion cosplay?  On Sunday', Baltimore Comic Con hosted their annual costume contest, so that is the day to attend if cosplay is your thing.  I loved some of the really unique costumes I saw such as Booster Gold and Blue Beetle, The Riddlers, and a Captain Marvel fashioned after Kelly Sue DeConnick's (@kellysue) new series.  After the con my brother and I grabbed some dinner and drinks near the hotel before calling it a night.  Oh! Another favorite highlight was during the Marvel NOW! panel when Mark Waid made my brother (@Rhhackett) stand up and model his "I'm Not Daredevil" t-shirt from WeLoveFine.  For full coverage of the panels I attended and the Harvey Awards, you can view it all at On Wednesdays We Wear Pink!


Currently Reading: Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 4: Realm of Kings by Dan Abnett, Andy Lanning, and Brad Walker

1 comment:

  1. I'm so jealous you got to meet Joe Eisma! The Casey print looks great.

    ReplyDelete