Tuesday, December 18, 2012

An Unexpected 80's & Hello Kitty Weekend

I'm still recovering from what was quite possibly one of the greatest weekends ever, but I had so much fun that I felt compelled to write a blog post about it before attempting to catch up on some sleep!  I only spent a total of 9 hours (including sleep) at my house this weekend but it was worth every minute!  As a long time LOTR and Hobbit fan I knew that I had to see The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey on opening night.  I was overcome with joy at the thought of spending more time with Gandalf and seeing Bilbo's adventure finally come to life, so I brought my plushies of Gandalf and Bilbo to snuggle with during the film.  But before heading to the theater, I unintentionally stalked my good friend Alan (@SizzlerKistler) via Twitter who happened to be filming at Midtown Comics.  Melissa (@mechamelissa) and I met him there to buy a graphic novel for Thursday's Super Villains Comic Book Club and then stumbled into a Ricky's to buy wigs for the next days festivities.  Before arriving at the theater we met the birthday girl, Jill (@TheNerdyBird), her boyfriend Brad, and one of my closest friends, Dan (@DanSlott), at an adorable restaurant that was decorated beautifully for the holidays!  Next, we proceeded to stock up on movie snacks since we knew there was an almost 3 hour journey ahead of us.  We all agreed that the film was rather lengthy, but I really enjoyed it anyway.  I did not however enjoy the 48 frames per second 3D aspect of the movie.  It was just plain odd.  Everything looked too real so it was as if you were watching a documentary.  But I adored seeing Gandalf again, and Martin Freeman did a wonderful job playing Bilbo.  Plus Thorin is the hottest dwarf in Middle Earth.  But my favorite scene of the whole film was towards the end when Gollum and Bilbo were exchanging riddles.  The same scene in which Bilbo happens upon the ring.  I was pleased that the film was much more action packed than I was expecting, and I would really like to see The Hobbit again in 2D before it leaves theaters.  



By the time I arrived home it was nearly 4:15 am but since I hadn't eaten dinner/ wanted an excuse to stay up later and watch my current tv obsession, Adventure Time, I did just that.  By the time Jake and Finn finished saving entrapped princesses from the Ice King, I ended up getting close to four hours of sleep for the night.  I didn't have much time to get ready and pack on Saturday before dashing back into NYC again for the main event of Jill's birthday, an epic 80's style prom, that would rival any John Hughes movie.  I tweeted on Saturday about how crazy my neighbors must think I am because I was seen dashing across my lawn in a Batman sweater and carrying high heels.  It was truly evident how much time and effort Jill put into organizing her party from her 80's mix, which is the best soundtrack I've ever danced to, to the deliciously themed drinks (Pretty in Pinks, White Weddings, Return of the Jedi shots, and my personal favorite, Flux Capacitors), to the Save Ferris sign, and of course, the silly outfits we all decked ourselves out in!  Jill's awesome brother Adam (@johnny_pants) set up a photo station where we took 80's style prom pics and plenty of other ridiculous photos.  I was also really excited to see Rachael (@bookoisseur) who is one of the kindest and most genuine girls I've befriended this past year.  Below is a collection of some of my favorite photos from the night!  After the party a few of us headed to a dinner for a late night snack/ early breakfast, and then Melissa and I watched Bio-Dome before going to sleep.  At 5:30.  Again.  



Then on Sunday, instead of spending the day resting before the work week started, I met up with two of the most awesome girls I know, Sarah (@tinybats3) and Lauren (@LaurenMoran), and we roamed around NYC in the cold, misty rain.  First we stopped at Georgetown Cupcakes, and indulged in our favorite flavors while giggling and catching up on gossip.  Now that they're both on their winter break from classes I'm really looking forward to seeing a lot more of them :o)  But our main goal for the day, which we achieved, was going to the Hello Kitty art show in SoHo.  They had a bunch of gorgeous paintings by a wide variety of artists.  My favorite was the Simone Legno print.  Simone is the designer for Tokidoki and i simply adore each and every one of his creations.  A close second was the superhero style Hello Kitty and a rock and roll style painting which made Hello Kitty resemble Adventure Time's Fiona.  While we were there we saw a girl outfitted in a Christmas style Lolita ensemble, and a giant Hello Kitty cosplayer.  Even though we had been trudging through the rain we couldn't resist taking our picture with them by the Hello Kitty Christmas tree.  We also met the artist Tara McPherson and had her sign bookmarks for us.  Afterwards, it was back to wandering around in the cold rain and visiting random SoHo boutiques in search of Christmas presents.  Then we had a delightful dinner at Red Bamboo, a vegan restaurant in the East Village, where we drank shirley temples and conversed about the Star Wars expanded universe and all of the endless possibilities Disney has for expanding the franchise even further.  We were having such a great time that none of us wanted to leave, but alas, the Dexter season finale was premiering at 9 and since Lauren and I are avid fans we had to be home in time.  I won't say anything just yet since the episode only aired last night, but it was mind blowing.  I am so pleased with the way this season has turned out after the lackluster sixth season.



I'm so happy that I was able to see so many of the people and I and care about just before the holidays.  Plus walking around Manhattan during Christmastime is pure magic.  And cupcakes.  Cupcakes make the world a better place.  I hope everyone else had a great weekend as well!  One one more week until Christmas! Wheeee!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment