Monday, December 31, 2012

New Years Resolutions & Goals for 2013


The second half of my New Years blog post is the obligatory resolution portion.  It's always been a tradition of mine to write down a list of goals more so than resolutions for the upcoming year.  A lot of people feel as though resolutions are broken so easily that it's pointless to waste time creating them but I disagree.  Even if you set goals that are too high or you're only able to follow your plan for a short time I believe it is better than to have not spent any time trying at all.  Anything you accomplish in the short time you try is still more than if you hadn't tried at all.  I think I did a pretty good job last year of accomplishing the goals I had set for myself with one major exception.  The one goal that I considered to be the most important and wanted to complete above all was the only goal that I wasn't able to check off on my list.  But mark my words, it will happen in 2013.  I will have a completed first draft of an original work.  In 2012 I was only able to make the time to write half of a screenplay and 100 pages of an original novel.  Having written both towards the beginning of 2012, I was forced to put my own stories on the back burner as the year progressed.  But not this year.  I've outlined the rest of goals below. 



Things to Accomplish or Change in 2013
  • Write a Complete First Draft of an Original Novel - A few years back I had been accepted to go back to school for screenwriting but due to a scheduling conflict with work I was unable to attend.  Since then I've been spending a lot of time writing for On Wednesdays We Wear Pink, and while I would never in a million years give that up, I am going to make a conscious effort to spend time on more personal works as well.
  • Read More Books - A couple of my friends and I have decided to keep a collaborative spreadsheet of the books we read as a way to motivate ourselves to read more.  It is by no means a competition because reading is an enjoyable pastime, but rather a reminder that if others can find the time to read, so can we.  I had been worried that I didn't read enough in 2012 until I tallied my list and realized that I had in fact surpassed 100 books/graphic novels.  I may post my list in the upcoming week.
  • Save More Money - As I'm sure everyone in the geek community can relate to, when new things are released whether it be books, movies, toys or whatnot, I can never resist supporting my favorite fandoms with my hard earned salary.  But sadly, I think it's time for me to become more selective and attempt to be a fiscally responsible adult.
  • Move to NYC or Brooklyn - This is going to be the big motivator to force me into my last goal.  I lived in New York City during college and it was the greatest experience of my life.  Ever since I graduated and moved back home I've wanted nothing more than to move back to the place I feel most at home.  I spend a ridiculous amount of money commuting back and forth since I'm there 3-5 times a week every single week and train ticket prices are increasing yet again next year.  Luckily I do have plenty of friends that let me stay with them, but I would really like a little place to call my own.
  • Be Healthier - I am in no way stating that one of my goals is to lose weight because I'm quite happy with my body just the way it is.  I have been a vegetarian for almost 4 years now and in that time I have learned the types of foods I need to eat to get all of the nutrients my body requires.  I've read several books about the food industry and it's a topic that I find fascinating.  Towards the end of 2012 I started eating more sweets than ever and even some unhealthier meals which I am not proud of.  I'll be getting out all of my cravings today and starting the New Year by reverting back to my usual food choices.  I have always relied on walking around Manhattan (I walk at super speeds) to be sufficient exercise, but I am also considering giving yoga a try.
  • Take Some "Me" Time - This has always been something that I have struggled with.  I am ambitious and enthusiastic and when given the opportunity to do anything I leap at the chance.  I need to learn to not feel guilty about saying no and to remember that it's important to take some time for myself as well.  It's this time that will allow me to focus on my novel and on reading more books.  Both of which sound like the ideal way to spend extra time.  

Things to Continue Doing in 2013
  • Making New Friends - I think it's important to have a core group of people you can rely on and who can rely on you.  I very lengthily touched upon the friendships I have cultivated in 2012 in my previous post and I plan on continuing this trend for 2013.  I would definitely classify myself as a people person.  Everyone is the main character in the story of their own life and I find it fascinating to hear all about others experiences.  Fiction is absolutely wonderful but it is romanticized and I think it's important to stay grounded in the real world instead of living solely in a deluded false reality.  Life is all about connecting with others and sharing in experiences together.
  • Maintaing a Positive Outlook - Yes, I'm an optimist.  No, I'm not planning on changing that, even after the chaotic previous year I had.  I had a conversation with my best friend Melissa (@mechamelissa) this past year that I stand by wholeheartedly.  After some of the experiences I had, I began to wonder if I should be more skeptical of people instead of being my usual trusting self.  But then I quickly realized that I am never going to change who I am and what I consider to be one of my better traits because of other people.  Things happen, not everyone is genuine,  and some people have bad intentions, but I'm going to continue to take everything in stride and never lose faith in my belief that people are generally good.  I am still going to behave in the same manner upon meeting new people and treat them with the same kindness, respect, and trust that I think everyone is entitled to until they may prove otherwise that they are undeserving.
  • Regularly Updating My Social Media Sites - The internet in all of its forms provides endless hours of entertainment.  I love my twitter, I love my tumblr, I love my blog and I love my instagram.  I update each of these on regular basis (twitter being the most up-to-date and linking with all of the aforementioned sites).  This blog was only launched in September but I have already written a number of posts, and I am going to continue to do so, at a more frequent interval throughout 2013.  I do however, tend to neglect my Facebook, Goodreads, GetGlue, and This is My Jam accounts, but I am going to make a strong effort to keep them more up to date as well.
  • Traveling - After a few years of taking a hiatus on vacation travels due to a terrible fear of flying, I overcame my fear and I traveled more in 2012 than I had in the past six years combined. I went to Florida twice, Atlanta, and Baltimore all within a span of 3 months.  It was a lot of fun feeling like a jet setter and now that some of my very best friends are scattered throughout the US between the East and West coasts I plan on continuing my traveling trend.  My top choices for travel destinations in 2013 include LA to visit Jen (@jennifermaire), Boston to visit Betty (@futurebatlady), Florida again to visit Kristin (@KristinLFowler), her husband Patrick (@tuddle), and my cousin Rachel (@rachelgault), and either Chicago for the Wizard World convention or San Diego (finally) for San Diego Comic Con which always occurs right around my birthday weekend.

And so, I wish all of you my dear friends, family, twitters and tumblr's a very Happy New Year.  I'd love to hear the resolutions and goals for 2013 that you have set for yourself in addition to your progress and efforts to maintain them throughout the year.  As always, feel free to drop me a line anytime and I look forward to sharing in good fortune with you all for the entirety of 2013 :o)


No comments:

Post a Comment