Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Books I Read in 2012


Every year I make a list of the books I have read throughout the year by month as a way to keep track of what I've read.  I had been really worried about not having read enough books and graphic novels in 2012 because I had felt so pressed for time between all of my responsibilities, but once I tallied my list I  was thrilled to discover that I enjoyed a total of 102 books.  2012's reading list was very graphic novel heavy as compared with previous years, so another of my 2013 goals is to make sure I have a more well rounded list.  2010 was my best reading year to date.  I had been commuting and for 3 hours per day, and since I didn't have any close friends at my previous job I also had an extra 80 minutes of reading per day in break times.  That's a total of 4.5 hours of total literary bliss 5 days a week.  I was much more conscious of switching up my reading as well.  I would alternate between modern fiction, classics, non-fiction (mostly based on physics or nutrition), sci-fi/fantasy novels and graphic novels.  I want to get back into that habit for 2013.  So without further adieu, here is my 2012 reading list! (Some titles are repeated if I had read them multiple times.)

January
1. The Walking Dead Book 7 by Robert Kirkman
2. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
3. The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick
4. Morning Glories Volume 2 by Nick Spencer
5. Locke & Key: Crown of Shadows by Joe Hill & Gabriel Rodriguez
6. Kingdom Come by Mark Waid & Alex Ross
7. Batman: Through the Looking Glass by Bruce Jones & Sam Kieth
8. Spider-Island by Dan Slott
9. Green Arrow: Year One by Andy Diggle & Jock

February
1. Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins
2. Locke & Key: Keys to the Kingdom by Joe Hill & Gabriel Rodriguez
3. New Krypton Volume 1 by Geoff Johns & James Robinson
4. New Krypton Volume 2 by Geoff Johns & James Robinson
5. New Krypton Volume 3 by Greg Rucka & James Robinson
6. True Blood Volume 1: All Together Now by Alan Ball
7. Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring by JRR Tolkien

March
1. Sweet Tooth Volume 1 by Jeff Lemire
2. Sweet Tooth Volume 2 by Jeff Lemire
3. Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
4. The Umbrella Academy Volume 1 by Gerard Way
5. Slave to Sensation by Nalini Singh
6. Essex County by Jeff Lemire
7. Sweet Tooth Volume 3 by Jeff Lemire


April
1. Sweet Tooth Volume 4 by Jeff Lemire
2. Feynman by 
3. X-Men Season One by Dennis Hopeless & Jamie Mckelvie
4. Daredevil by Mark Waid
5. Severed by Scott Snyder & Scott Tuft
6. Ex Machina by Brian K. Vaughan

May
1.  iZombie by Chris Roberson and Michael Allred
2. Astonishing X-Men Volume 1 by Joss Whedon
3. Fantastic Four Season One by Roberto-Aguirre-Sacasa
4. Animal Man by Jeff Lemire
5. Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane Volume 1 by Sean McKeever
6. Deadlocked by Charlainne Harris
7. Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane Volume 2 by Sean McKeever
8. Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane Volume 3 by Sean McKeever
9. Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane Volume 4 by Sean McKeever
10. Love Buzz by Len N. Wallace
11. Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane: Sophomore Jinx by Terry Moore
12. Daytripper by Fábio Moon & Gabriel Bá
13. Marvels by Kurt Busiek & Alex Ross
14. Iron Man Noir by Scott Snyder & Manuel Garcia


June
1. Mystery Men by David Liss
2. Sailor Moon Volume 1 by Naoko Takeuchi
3. Sailor Moon Volume 2 by Naoko Takeuchi
4. Underwater Welder by Jeff Lemire
5. Mystery Society by Steve Niles & Fiona Staples
6. Batman: Death by Design by Chip Kidd & Dave Taylor
7. Astonishing X-Men Volume 2 by Joss Whedon
8. Hack/Slash by Tim Seeley
9. New York Five by Brian Wood
10. Daredevil Volume 2 by Mark Waid
11. Black Widow & Avengers by Paul Tobin
12. Batgirl Rising by Bryan Q. Miller
13. Batgirl: The Flood by Bryan Q. Miller
14. Spider-Man Blue by Jeph Loeb & Tim Sale

July
1. Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton
2. Daredevil Yellow by Jeph Loeb & Tim Sale
3. Fantastic Four Volume 1: by Jonathan Hickman
4. Fantastic Four Volume 2: by Jonathan Hickman
5. Underwater Welder by Jeff Lemire
6. American Vampire Volume 2: by Scott Snyder
7. Y: The Last Man Volume 1 by Brian K. Vaughn
8. Y: The Last Man Volume 2 by Brian K. Vaughn


August
1. Y: The Last Man Volume 3 by Brian K. Vaughn
2. The Guild Volume 1 by Felicia Day & Jim Rugg
3. Speed Racer Volume 1: by Len Strazewski
4. Love and Capes by Thomas F. Zahler
5. Y: The Last Man Volume 4 by Brian K. Vaughn
6. Batman: War Games Act 1: Outbreak
7. Zatanna: Shades of the Past by Paul Dini & Cliff Chiang

September
1. Ecko Rising by Danie Ware
2 Very Near Mint Volume 1 by Justin Peterson
3. Morning Glories Volume 3 by Nick Spencer & Joe Eisma
4. Locke & Key: Clockworks by Joe Hill & Gabriel Rodriguez
5. Y: The Last Man Volume 5 by Brian K. Vaughn
6. Y: The Last Man Volume 6 by Brian K. Vaughn
7. A Wrinkle in Time by Madeline L'Engle, Adapted by Hope Larson
8. Y: The Last Man Volume 7 by Brian K. Vaughn


October
1. Y The Last Man Volume 8 by Brian K. Vaughn 
2. Y The Last Man Volume 9 by Brian K. Vaughn
3. Y The Last Man Volume 10 by Brian K. Vaughn
4. The Walking Dead Book 8 by Robert Kirkman
5. Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

November
1. Green Arrow: Quiver by Kevin Smith
2. Atomic Robo by Brian Clevinger
3. Batman: Hush by Jeph Loeb
4. Teen Titans Volume 1: A Kid's Game by Geoff Johns
5. Nightwing/Huntress by Devin Grayson
6. Teen Titans Volume 2: Family Lost by Geoff Johns
7. Atomic Robo Volume 1 by Brian Clevinger
8. Namor The First Mutant Volume 1 by Stuart Moore
9. Teen Titans Volume 3: Beast Boy by Geoff Johns

December
1. Birds of Prey Volume 1: Of Like Minds by Gail Simone
2. Teen Titans Volume 4: The Future is Now by Geoff Johns
3. Spider-Man Blue by Jeph Loeb
4. Robin: Year One by Chuck Dixon
3. Teen Titans Volume 5: Life & Death by Geoff Johns
4. Batman Noel by Lee
5. DC Universe Christmas by Various
6. The Adventures of Tintin by 
7. Transmetropolitan Volume 1 by Warren Ellis
8. Transmetropolitan Volume 2 by Warren Ellis


What are everyone else's reading goals for 2013?  I'd love to hear which characters you're planning on spending time with this year!  If you ever have any good recommendations, please feel free to share them with me as I am always up for a new adventure!


2 comments:

  1. You did so good for the year! I think I maxed out at about 15 books for 2012. I started quite a few, but they couldn't keep my attention. What did you think of iZombie? I started the series a while ago and never finished it, but I thought it was a fun spin on zombies/supernatural.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emily! I really enjoyed the first two volumes of iZombie, but to be honest, the third volume didn't excite me. The fourth and final volume is packaged and on its way to my house, so I'm hoping it picks up again, but I'll let you know once I've read it!

      Delete