Thursday, October 4, 2012

Vintage Video Game Day at Cassie's

There are very few things that I love more than vintage video games.  A vast majority of my childhood consisted of me, my brother, and two of our closest family friends (who lived 5 houses away from us!) sitting on our couch or theirs and competing against each other in video games.  We had all of the best systems growing up including regular Nintendo, Super Nintendo, Playstation, Playstation 2, Nintendo 64, Xbox, Game Cube, and of course Gameboy's.  Needless to say, Santa was always good to us!  Our household is currently equipped with all of the aforementioned game systems in addition to PS3, Nintendo Wii, Nintendo DS, and we're hardcore coveting that limited edition Star Wars Xbox Kinect (which is at the top of my Amazon wishlist on the side of this very page!)  Anyway, my good friend Cassie (@yrchmonger) and I decided to pay homage to our childhoods, break out the old systems and declare it to be Vintage Video Game Day!


The first game we chose to play while getting back into the video game groove, was one of my all time favorite games, Mario Party for Nintendo 64.  
We played a 20 turn game on Peach's Birthday Cake board.  I played as Peach and Cassie played as Yoshi.  We had set the computer players, Mario and Luigi, to easy but both of us would attest that Mario was anything but.  It was so fun going back and playing the old mini games.  The first one we played was Crazy Cutter in which Boo or a Goomba is fossilized in the ground, and in order to win the game and set them free you must obtain a score of at least 80 points.  Some of my favorite mini games were always Face Lift, where you rearrange Bowser's face to match the one in the middle, Buried Treasure where you dig through the ground to try to be the first player to find the treasure chest, Tipsy Tourney where you use a turtle shell on an uneven board to reveal a picture, and Bobsled Run where you and a partner try to be the first to complete the course.  During the game, Mario ended up stealing my star away from me, but luckily I was able to acquire another one and in the end I beat that plumber! After Mario Party, we decided to switch over to Super Nintendo to play Donkey Kong. We were planning on playing Donkey Kong Country 2 because we both love playing as Diddy and Dixie Kong best, but in typical Super Nintendo fashion, we could not get the game to load.  Even after minutes of Cassie blowing on said game.  



Then it was back to Nintendo 64 for us as we took on the rest of the Nintendo family on Rainbow Road in Mario Kart 64.  This time I played as Toad, and Cassie stuck with Yoshi.  We were ruthless  and struck each other with lightening each time the opportunity presented itself.  We also attempted to play in Sherbet Land, and I say attempted because neither of us could fully navigate that board!  In fact, we placed in the bottom 2 on that level.  We started our morning out with the best New York Bagels which I picked up before hopping a train to go visit Cassie, and we continued eating throughout the day.  Cassie purchased some of the most delicious cupcakes from the Sweet Spot Bake Shop which had recently won Cupcake Wars (although she shopped there all the time before their rise to cupcake fame).  When we finished our game playing, we ended the night in the best way possible.  We went to Cassie's friend (also named Cassie)'s apartment and spent the evening watching Joss Whedon's Cabin in the Woods.  Cabin is one of my favorite movies I've seen this entire year!  I even did a spoiler free review of it for On Wednesdays We Wear Pink.  If you haven't seen it yet, I highly recommend you change that ASAP!  I normally get scared really easily by horror movies, but Cabin was so inexplicably awesome, that it cannot even be classified solely as a horror flick.  You'll know what I mean when you see it.  If you do watch it and want to chat about it, feel free to drop me a line in the comments section (no spoilers) or on my tumblr (spoilers are a okay!) since I'm a diehard Whedonite!  But anyway, it's time to get back to NYCC planning! Is everyone exited for next week?!


Currently Reading: Y The Last Man Volume 8 by Brian K. Vaughn

No comments:

Post a Comment