Monday, November 5, 2012

This is Not a Costume Party

Remember at the end of my last post when I said I had to run because I was picking up Melissa (@mechamelissa) from the train station?  Well, she visited with me this weekend and as usual, the antics we got ourselves into could easily be used as the premise for a sitcom.  On Saturday night, we spent hours applying sugar skull makeup to our faces because we were attending a belated costume party to celebrate my friend Amanda's birthday and Halloween.  We were supposed to arrive around 9pm, but as our makeup was taking longer than usual I texted Amanda to let her know.  She replied "LOL," with no other explanation.  At 11pm when we finally entered the party there were a bunch of folks standing around outside dressed in everyday civilian clothing.  Mel and I glanced at each other but assured ourselves that once we walked inside the room would be decked out to the nines in elaborate costumes.  So as we entered the door, and surveyed the crowd, we burst out into a hysterical laughing fit because it was apparent that we were the only ones in costume.  The bouncer even told us to just go because he wouldn't be able to tell if it was actually us anyway.  Amanda apologized and said she had no idea what I meant when I said our makeup was taking a long time.  She also forgot to text anyone to tell them not to wear costumes, but everyone else (besides Me & Melissa) had decided of their own accord and laziness to come without getting dressed up.  Luckily for us, we both love dressing up and since we both don't care what other people think, we had a great time.  No one had any idea what we were, but that's a whole other story.  Anyone who is unfamiliar with Long Island, may not know that most of the people here are not the most, er, accepting of people.  I dislike making generalizations about large groups of people because there are always exceptions but for the majority of my life I knew that I  was meant for Manhattan and not this island.  Anyway, we were receiving weird looks all night from strangers, and accidentally scaring people whenever we turned around.  But obviously, this was not an issue for us, because look how totally AWESOME our makeup turned out!





Because of Hurricane Sandy and her aftermath causing a lack of transportation in NYC, I missed my Wreck it Ralph screening which I had been looking forward to for over a month.  I had been determined to see Wreck it Ralph and the "Paperman" animated short early but since I was unable to, I had my heart set on catching it on opening weekend.  There is still a gas shortage and commuting hasn't returned to normal just yet, but luckily the movie theater is very local so Melissa and I headed out to see them on Sunday afternoon.  I fell both madly and deeply in love with the "Paperman" short.  I even cried during it!  For me, there's just something about Manhattan that enhances love stories.  Maybe it's because I've lived near or in New York City for my whole life and I know that I belong here, so to see such a touching film set in my very own world leaves me feeling hopeful and inspired.  "Paperman" definitely deserves an Oscar and I'm very certain that it has a good shot after the Academy impressed me with their choice last year.  If you haven't seen it yet, or would simply like to relive the magic of "The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore" you can click the link and be transported away :o)  I was so enthralled with "Paperman," that upon arriving home I immediately tumbl'd a whole bunch of "Paperman" posts, and I even created my own paper airplane which I kissed after applying a coat of cherry red lipstick.  I was also extremely pleased with Wreck it Ralph.  The movie was adorable and I loved all of the references to my favorite childhood video games.  I was charmed by each of the characters and I was definitely rooting for Ralph throughout the entirety of the film.  I might've cried during the actual movie too.  (Don't judge me, I'm a sucker for Disney!)   It became apparent that if I ever were to move, the only other place I might enjoy living is Sugar Rush.  Disney did a wonderful job with both the animated short and the full length feature film.  Further proof that my favorite franchise (Star Wars, obviously), has fallen into good hands <3


I know I ended my last blog post gushing about my excitement for the upcoming holiday season, so I won't bore you again :o)  But I will say that I am planning on making the absolute most of my season and enjoying each and every moment of it!  As you can see from the below photo I've already been unable to resist devouring some more of Starbucks' Gingerbread lattes.  I also picked up a pair of Stormtrooper earmuffs from the Star Wars gift shop in Disney (after riding Star Tours five times) so I'd be prepared for my upcoming Manhattan adventures.  I'm most looking forward to wandering around the Holiday Shops at Bryant Park in the coming weeks.  What are you looking forward to this season?



Currently Reading: Wicked by Gregory McGuire

1 comment:

  1. read the whole article;

    thats awesome. Good to know you have someone to geek out with and dress up for day of the dead. How can no one know? its so obvious!! ahh so lucky! i saw only two women with make up for day of the dead. so crazy. I need to see wreck it ralph asap now...I love those shorts disney makes =D. reading player one now by your recommendation!

    ReplyDelete