Monday, October 29, 2012

SWCVI: Her Universe Fashion Shoot

This past August I was lucky enough to be invited to attend a convention that I have always dreamed about experiencing firsthand, Star Wars Celebration.  I was asked to help film for FanGirl TV, a new webseries that focuses on fangirls who love all things geeky.  The convention was being held in Orlando, Florida, which is also the home to my lovely blog partner Kristin Fowler (@KristinLFowler), so the decision to accept was a very simple one to make.  After a lengthy drive down to Florida, the guys I traveled with (Gary, Brandon & Dave) and I finally arrived and began filming.  I was in charge of interviewing the girls we selected to film including Ashley Eckstein, the voice of Ahsoka Tano on Star Wars: The Clone Wars, and the brains behind one of my favorite clothing companies, Her Universe.  Kristin and I often gush about Ashley's designs on our site On Wednesdays We Wear Pink.  I was so overcome with excitement about having the opportunity to interview Ashley, that I completely forgot to be nervous.  And once we started chatting, I quickly realized there was never any need to be worried after all because Ashley was nicer than I could've ever imagined!  She is very genuine and friendly and you can easily tell how much she cares about her fans and the girls wearing her line.  Which is one of the reasons Ashley decided to host a photo shoot at Star Wars Celebration featuring the real girls who wear her clothes as the models.  The photo shoot was a lot of fun and you can see the pics on the Her Universe Facebook page


As a long time Her Universe fangirl, I was so happy to have been part of the photo shoot.  The only challenging part was deciding which piece to wear!  I currently own all of the Battlestar Galactica, Doctor Who, and the majority of Star Wars clothing Her Universe sells, but seeing as how this was a Star Wars convention, I was able to rule out BSG and DW.  You would think that would make choosing simpler, but believe me it was no easy task.  (And if you don't believe me, you can see for yourself by checking out the extensive merchandise selection in Her Universe's online shop).  In fact, for the duration of our car ride to Florida, pretty much all I talked about was how the Her Universe booth had to be our first stop because I was dying to obtain the limited edition R2D2 charm, and the Mara Jade t-shirt (both of which I purchased, along with the Rebel and Imperial tanks and Ahsoka tunic).  After careful deliberation, I decided to wear the Star Wars Calavera Vader scoop tee with a Star Wars miniskirt and hair bow that I made myself from fabric patterned with 70's Star Wars comics.  I had such a great time getting ready and Ashley made the photo shoot super fun.  You can also watch the video of Ashley taken by my coworkers at FanGirl TV.  It's interspersed with clips of me modeling during the photo shoot!



And just for fun, here are some of my other favorite photos from Star Wars Celebration:

Me & my Star Wars lunch box from William Sonoma

Me & Ashley Eckstein after I interviewed her for FanGirl TV

Me & Katie Cook (One of my favorite artists!)

Me wishing R2D2 & C3PO will save me soon

That time I convinced a Stormtrooper to give me his blaster

Kristin & I riding Tauntaun's

The Mara Jade shirt by Her Universe that I acquired at Celebration


3 comments:

  1. That lunchbox if from William Sonoma? That explains why it comes with cookie cutters, I bought it in an eBay lot earlier this year, and thought it was odd it came with cookie cutters. The cookies I made with them turned out great. Have you make cookies with them yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's why! I have all of the Star Wars cookie cutters William Sonoma ever sold :o) You have to make sure the dough is rolled really thin and is as chilled as possible when you use them, otherwise they tend to fall apart or expand while baking until you can't make out their faces! So far I've had great batches too!

      Delete
    2. they are actually "sandwich cutters" not cookie cutters that come with the lunchbox. but by all means use it for cookies, pie, etc. :)

      Delete