Monday, October 8, 2012

Weekend in Review!

Q: What do a Doctor Who bar, Looper, a Zombie Walk, Mean Girls, and Left 4 Dead all have in common? A: They were all contributing elements to my fabulous weekend!  And what's even better is that 1) it's not yet over, and 2) NEW YORK COMIC CON STARTS THIS WEEK!  After a stressful day at work on Friday, I was forced to employ my Speed Racette driving techniques to ensure I made my train into Manhattan.  Seriously, I need to move there ASAP so I can avoid these types of close calls!  First on the agenda was to see the movie Looper, staring Joseph Gordon Levitt and Bruce Willis.    I had been wanting to see it since the movie trailer was released because besides the obvious reason (JGL), time travel is my absolute favorite sci-fi subject to explore in movies, novels, television, and *crosses fingers* hopefully IRL one day.  After a brief mishap with the ticket machine (aka Melissa [@mechamelissa] & I's first blonde moment of the weekend), we purchased our movie snacks and headed into the theater.  It's no secret that I have a sweet tooth and thankfully the concession stand at the theater was able to satisfy my major Sour Patch Kids craving.  Overall I really enjoyed Looper.  I'm thinking about writing a full review of it for On Wednesdays We Wear Pink sometime this week if I can find the time between all of my NYCC planning. I was excited to see that Paul Dano had a small part in the film.  I've loved him since I saw him in Little Miss Sunshine, and I've been following his film career ever since.  Immediately following the movie, we were planning on going to the Bottleneck Gallery for their Zombie Art Gallery opening, but since we have all month to view it, we opted instead to head over to The Way Station.  


It was my first time going to the famed Brooklyn Doctor Who bar and I had a blast! I will definitely be going back there the first chance I get.  Melissa and I decided to do a quick photo shoot in the bathroom with all of the fun paintings on walls.  Tom Baker's scarf lines the wall, Matt Smith's signature is framed above the toilet, there are Daleks, Cybermen, Weeping Angels, K9, and more, all are enclosed in a TARDIS which is definitely bigger on the inside.  The bar even has Doctor Who themed drinks (we stuck to River's Red Setting which is a mix of Absolut Citron, Orange Juice and Grenadine), and they also have a supply of Sonic Screwdrivers.  At the bar we met a nice group of guys, one of which was body painted silver (the photo below is super blurry, but you get the idea!), and another that appeared to be cosplaying as David Tenant, although when Melissa inquired, he informed us that those were his normal clothes.  But the fun did not stop there! After The Way Station, we headed back to Melissa's lovely apartment and then proceeded to play Left 4 Dead until 3:35 AM.  It was my first time playing Xbox, so Melissa was giving me tutorials and tips on shooter games.  We spent hours taking out zombies and I can definitely say that Xbox is at the very top of my wish list.  (The limited Star Wars edition Xbox that I mentioned in my last post =^.^=).  After we successfully slayed said virtual zombies, we knew we had a long day ahead of us on Saturday but we opted to watch Mean Girls anyway.  It was so much fun to watch it with some else who also knows all of the words!


After a night of 2 hours of sleep, I woke up Saturday morning, took a train home, and had just enough time to shower before driving back to the train station.  Normally it's my train rides home from NYC where my comic reading is interrupted by drunken club goers, but as soon as I boarded my 11:54 AM train it was evident that Irish Day was being celebrated by the rest of the Long Islanders.  Leave it to me to be the outcast in the Imperial logo tank while everyone else was sporting kelly green and Irish accents.  Luckily I survived my commute and was going to have to re-read everything I began anyway due my lack of sleep.  So as everyone knows, my first stop in Penn Station was to acquire my obligatory Treinta Unsweetened Green Iced Tea from Starbucks, and some pumpkin bread for good measure.  The walk was in Asbury Park in NJ, so I met up with Mel and we hopped our next train to New Brunswick where we were greeted by Cassie (@yrchmonger).  Our next stop was the Halloween store where we tried on numerous costumes before finally settling on our final choices.  I ended up choosing to go as a Zombie version of Jem, the infamous animated front woman of Jem and the Holograms, while Cassie dressed as a Zombie Slytherin, and Melissa as a Zombie Chucky doll.  We headed back to Cassie's where we bloodied ourselves up and then drove down to Asbury to join the herd of walkers and our friend Kim (@KimberlyAnneR) her fiancé Xander, and their friend Eric.


We roamed around town a bit, did some quick shopping at the booths set up by the boardwalk, and ran down the beach for a bit!  We missed the Zombie Thriller dance due to our tardiness, but hey, transforming into a zombie is no easy task.  We saw some very clever costumes while we were walking around, but my favorite was a group of people who were LARPing in the food court as the characters from the video game (Left 4 Dead) I had just played on Friday night!  We basically froze the entire time we were there which reminded me to start perusing ModCloth for new winter coats!  I was so cold the entire time we were waiting for our train back to NY that I couldn't even tweet or text correctly.  Which made me even happier to think that in a few short weeks I'll be in a much warmer climate when I visit Kristin (@KristinLFowler) in Florida.  Yesterday I spent the majority of my day curled up in my bed watching The Vampire Diaries, which is one of my new television obsessions.  I had never caught any of the episodes before but I took a twitter poll a few weeks ago and I received overwhelmingly positive responses from all who replied.  My verdict has been the same as what everyone forewarned.  The first few episodes are kind of silly and Twilight-esque, but by episode 5 they find a great action packed stride.  I'm going to start DVR'ing the current season in the hopes that I'll catch up soon, although that may just be wishful thinking with all of the events I have lined up in October.


I'm planning on trying to start writing some more blog posts throughout the week which won't only recap the events I've been attending, but will also give an inside look into what I'm currently reading, watching, listening to, and just loving in general.  I may also put together some fun cosplays to blog about, and some fun personal top 10 lists of my own.  Is there anything specific that you guys want to see?  Let me know in the comments section, on twitter, or send me a message on my tumblr!  But anyway, I must go get ready for the New York BlackMilk meet up!  First we'll be doing a photo shoot in Central Park and then eating dinner with JL & Handsome Cam at a swanky Italian restaurant.  I can't wait to meet the rest of the East Coast sharkies!

Currently Reading: The Magicians by Lev Grossman

No comments:

Post a Comment